No. 7 MIAMI TAKES ON No. 1 CLEMSON IN ACC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Date: Sat., Dec. 2, 2017
Site: Charlotte, N.C. | Bank of America Stadium (75,525)
Time: 8 p.m. ET
Flagship Radio: 560 WQAM | WQAM.com WMEN 640 The Hurricane
Spanish Radio: 990AM ESPN Deportes
MIAMI MAKING FIRST TRIP TO CHARLOTTE FOR ACC TITLE GAME
- ACC Coastal Division champion #7 Miami (10-1, 7-1 ACC) will take on Atlantic champion #1 Clemson onDec. 2in the Hurricanes’ first-ever appearance in the ACC Championship Game (8 p.m., ABC).
- Miami checked in at No. 7 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released on Nov. 28, marking its fourth straight week inside the CFP top 10. Miami had never been ranked by the CFP prior to 2017.
- With a 44-28 win over Virginia on Nov. 18, Miami clinched its first 10-win season since 2003 (11 2).
- Miami’s 7-1 record in ACC play was its best in history; its previous best ACC mark was 6-2 in 2005.
- The Hurricanes opened the season with ten straight victories for the first time since the 2002 season.
- The Hurricanes dropped their season finale, 24-14, to host Pittsburgh at Heinz Field on Nov. 24.
- Before the loss to Pitt, UM had won 15 games in a row for the first time since 2001-02 (Nov. 24, 2001 – Dec. 7, 2002). UM’s last loss before Pitt came more than a year ago at Notre Dame (Oct. 29, 2016).
- With a win over Virginia on Nov. 18, UM closed out a perfect home slate for the first time since 2002.
LAST TIME OUT: CANES DROPS FIRST GAME OF SEASON, 24-14, TO PITT
- The Hurricanes dropped a game for the first time in over a year last time out, falling to Pittsburgh at Heinz Field, 24-14, on Nov. 24. The loss snapped what was the longest winning streak in FBS (15).
- QB Malik Rosier threw for 187 yards on 15-of-34 passing with two touchdowns. With a fourth-quarter touchdown to WR Braxton Berrios, Rosier tied Miami’s single-season touchdowns responsible for mark of 30, set by Vinny Testaverde in his Heisman Trophy campaign in 1986.
- Miami struggled to get anything going offensively against Pitt, who beat Miami for the first time since 2014 and for just the second time dating to 1998. UM had won 11 of the previous 12 matchups.
- DB Sheldrick Redwine set a career high with 12 total tackles (eight solo) and added one forced fumble. LB Zach McCloud also set a career mark in tackles with 10 against the Panthers (eight solo).
- WR Braxton Berrios led all Hurricanes with four receptions for 61 yards, including a 39-yard score.
ANOTHER FIRST: RICHT LEADS MIAMI TO ACC CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCE
- Since taking over at his alma mater in December 2015, head coach Mark Richt has led Miami to its first bowl win since 2006 (31-14 over West Virginia, 2016 Russell Athletic Bowl), its first 10-win season since 2003 (10-1, 2017) and its first ACC Coastal Division Championship in history (2017).
- Richt has also led Miami to its highest position ever in the CFP rankings (#2, Nov. 21, 2017), its first #2 ranking in both major polls since 2003 and its longest winning streak since 2001-02 (15, 2016-17).
DEFENSE DAZZLING UNDER DIAZ, A BROYLES AWARD SEMIFINALIST
- Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz has directed the’ defense into one of the more dominant units once again, and was named a Broyles Award semifinalist for the nation’s top assistant coach.
- Miami’s defense ranks 10th nationally in opponent yards per play (4.5), one of the most important metrics when measuring a college football defense in 2017. In 2016, UM ranked No. 16 in OYPP (4.7).
- The Hurricanes lead the nation in team sacks (3.55) and rank second in the nation in team tackles for loss (8.6). Miami ranks third in turnovers gained (29) and is tied for first in turnover margin (+1.55).
- The Canes rank No. 15 nationally in scoring defense, allowing an average of 18.3 points per game.
- Miami has gained 21 turnovers over its past six games – more than 93 FBS teams have gained all year.